A brief history of the church compiled by David M E Lindsay from original material by Miss Mary Lloyd Jones and members of the congregation.The correct name for the church is "The Church of St. Michael and All Angels".
The original parish was Llanynghenedl and afternoon services were held in Llanynghenedl Parish Church which was 1½ miles nearer the mother Church of Llanfrachraeth where the Rector lived. With the building of the railway which passes through Valley the population increased near the railway station, and church people held evening services in the "Board Room" which was the Magistrates Room at the rear of the hotel for about 15 years. For a time the services were taken by the clergy of Holyhead until an appointment was made for this temporary arrangement in Valley.
By 1885 the accommodation at the Board Room had become too small, and it was in this context that a committee was set up to consider building a church at Valley. It was Sir Richard Buckeley Bt. who donated the land for the church and parsonage. A subscription list was set up and this was well supported and when sufficient capital had been raised the contract to build was given to Mr W Willams, Tanrefail, Holyhead for an estimated cost of £1300. The church opened on 8th April 1888 with a communion service at 9.30a.m. conducted by the Bishop of Bangor. At 11.00 a.m. Matins was held at which many failed to gain admission due to the crowds. The Dedication and Consecration of the Churchyard followed and services for the day continued with Litany at 3.00 p.m. and Evening Service at 6.00 p.m. Full services commenced on the following Sunday. The adjoining parsonage was built as soon as the church was built.Church Hall meeting placesIt was difficult to hold Church meetings with no room in which to meet but in 1935 permission was granted by Richard Gardner to use a building just opposite the Church. By 1967 this building had fallen into disrepair and had to be taken down. The then Rector Trevor Jones along with an enthusiastic band of workers decided to hold a fête every year to raise money to build a new Church Room. The land was donated by Mrs Jean Owen, the eldest daughter of Mr Richard Gardner and the Hall, in Lôn Gardner Pendyffryn, Valley was opened on 27th October 1977. There was a pathway which connected the Parsonage to the Hall. This is no longer used. This new hall is well used by groups such as Playgroup, Whist Group and Rainbows as well as the normal church functions as required.Description of the ChurchThe style of the Church building is cruciform and built on the model of Llanbedrgoch Church. The windows are all stained glass, the pavement off the Chancel is of Anglesey marble and the Font is of alabaster. The Mosaic Credence table is in a recess on the south side of the chancel and has for a centrepiece a polished stone given by Lord Stanley of Penrhos. The East Window, behind the altar, has a representation of St Michael to whom the Church is dedicated, It will be noticed that the stained glass windows, except that of the Altar, are mainly of amber and brown (see photo on the right), as Lord Stanley of Alderney, who was foremost in establishing and equipping the Church, had converted to the Muslim faith. Despite this he was foremost in establishing and equipping the Church. The North transept window was donated by Miss Adeane of Penrhos in memory of her uncle and bears the Royal Coat of Arms (see photo below) and Crown of Victoria who had just celebrated 50 years as Queen. The south transept window depicts St Cecelia, Patron Saint of Music. On the South side of the Chancel the window depicts "The Light of the World" – it was given by the Gardner family in memory of their parents.The pulpit is of solid oak and has five panels and carved on them are King David playing the harp, St Michael holding a spear, Moses holding the ten commandments and the cross is shown on the two end panels. The pews are also made from solid oak. There are several banners on display: a potted history of Valley made by the Young Families group; one was made by the Cubs and Guides and the Mothers Union and Pathfinders also have banners. The kneelers were all made by members of the congregation. In 1997 the current meeting room was built from donations from various charities and members. It has the useful addition of a disabled toilet and a very small kitchen useful for making tea or coffee.
Amber and brown window
Services11:15 amMatins1st Sunday11:15 amHoly Communion2nd, 3rd, 4th Sunday10:00 amHoly CommunionEvery Thursday in the Church Centre followed by a Bible study.